Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) | Japanese Language lnstitute MANABI



About Application

QIs there an age limit to apply for the courses?
Please notice that the age limit varies for different programs. For one who obtains a long duration student visa with the intent to enter a Japanese vocational school or university, please make sure that a 12-year educational curriculum is required.
QI will graduate from high school soon. Can I still apply for a student visa?
MANABI accepts student’s application before his/her final graduation from high school, with the additional submission of a graduate schedule.

About School

QCan I get a certificate after finishing my study?
Certificate can be issued if certain requirements of test results and attendance are fulfilled. The content of certificate varies in different programs.
QAre there any scholarship?
We are sorry that no scholarship can be applied during the admission application period. But there are scholarships that you can apply for in your second year at MANABI.

About Accommodation

QIs there any dormitories?
Yes. And we can introduce companies that provide dormitories for foreign students in accordance with your requests. You can also apply for the dormitory that is set up by our cooperating companies through us.
QCan somebody in school be a guarantor for me renting an apartment?
If you need a guarantor, please consult with the school. This may or may not be possible depending on the requirements of the landlord of the room

About Transportation

QCan I buy a commutation-ticket with a student discount?
Students studying on a student visa can buy a student discount commuter pass for the Toei Subway and Toei Bus range. You will need a certificate from your school, so please apply at the office. Unfortunately, the student discount does not apply to non-visa holders and to all trains and buses other than those mentioned above.
Q Can I ride my bicycle to school?
Yes, you can. But since there is parking restriction, please apply a permit at our school office. 500 yen returnable deposit is needed.

Career path after graduation

Q I want to go on to a vocational school after graduating from MANABI, could you advise me?
MANABI has teachers in charge of academic path counseling. Please feel free to consult with us about the selection of schools and the preparation of application materials.
QIs it possible for me to seek a job in Japan after finishing my study in MANABI?
In order to obtain a visa to work in Japan, you must have a university degree or higher in your home country and have an employment contract in place. If you do not have a university degree in your home country, you can still meet the educational requirements for a work visa by graduating from a vocational school or university in Japan.
Q After I finish my studies, can MANABI help me apply for a work visa?
MANABI cannot help students to apply working visas. Please start your job-seeking before your graduation.


Q Can I work part-time?
Students with a student visa can work part-time by obtaining a "Permission to Engage in Activity other than that Permitted under the Status of Residence Previously Granted" from the Immigration Bureau. Part-time work is allowed up to 28 hours per week, and up to 8 hours per day (40 hours per week) during long school vacations. Please note that there are rules regarding the type of work that can be done.
QHow can I find a part-time job?
Please check the bulletin board at MANABI for information on part-time jobs. Some people also find part-time jobs through part-time job information magazines distributed at train stations, newspaper inserts, and Hello Work.
QHow can I make friends with Japanese people?
MANABI put our best efforts for seeking such opportunities. We also recommend our students communicate more with their neighbors and part time job's coworkers, and participate more in regional activities to make more friends.
QHow can I open a bank account in Japan?
If you are planning to stay in Japan for a long time (more than a year), you can open a bank account at Japan Yucho Bank right after you enter the country. If you need to open a bank account immediately, such as for a cell phone contract, you should open an account at Japan Post Bank. In most cases, other banks will not allow you to open a bank account until about 6 months after you arrive, but if you really need one, please consult with the school office.
QCan I withdraw money in Japan by using the bank account created in my country?
Credit cards and cash cards of VISA, MasterCard, American Express, JCB, and China UnionPay with the PLUS and Cirrus marks can withdraw money at Seven Bank (ATMs located in Seven-Eleven stores). You can also use VISA, VISAELECTRON, PLUS, MasterCard, Maestro, Cirrus, American Express, Diners Club, JCB, China UnionPay, DISCOVER, etc. credit cards and cash cards at Yucho Bank ATMs. Credit cards and cash cards are accepted. *The cards accepted are subject to change.